The Last Shuttle Mission

(Image courtesy NASA)

So the final space shuttle mission ever launched this week.  I have to admit, I'm a bit sad.  I've grown up dreaming about being on a space ship someday, and NASA's space shuttle fleet was the real-world anchor for those dreams.  The feeling is deepened by the knowledge that after Atlantis touches down, the United States will be dependent on other countries for manned space flights to the International Space Station until we get it together and build a new vessel that can bring us to the stars (or at least to their doorstep).

I realize this isn't the end of manned space flight, but it feels like the end of the US's leadership in the endeavor, at least for now.  Of all the things that my country does that makes me sad, this one hits pretty hard.

If you want to watch the live feed of Space Shuttle Atlantis in orbit, as seen from the ISS, follow this link.


Also worth mentioning this week:

Torchwood has moved from the BBC to the Starz network and made its American debut this past Friday night.  Sadly, I don't have Starz, but I'll be keeping an eye out for ways to watch it in the coming days.  I also must confess to never having watched the original Torchwood, though I've been a Doctor Who fan since the 1980's.  (That Captain guy just got on my nerves too much).  Still, I think I'm going to have to Netflix it now just to check it out.

If you're curious, there's show information over at the Starz site.

That's all for this week!

Be Well!

Comments

  1. Children of Earth was quite good, if depressing.

    Miracle Day was also quite good, hopefully will not be as depressing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts