Sci-Fi News Installment

Greetings to all!

I have some sci-fi news to share!

Avatar Sequels (movies)

According to Sigourney Weaver via moviepilot.com James Cameron is planning another 3 Avatar films and all of them will be shot at once.  I'm wondering where this film franchise is going to go.  Avatar was quite pretty, and I admit I got into the plot (I'm a sucker for oppressed natives stories), but the only thing I can see happening in the sequel is the forces of Earth returning with some serious hardware and bombing the crap out of the Na'vi from orbit.
It's sort of hard to imagine any intelligent, greedy beings doing anything else.  Since what they're after is the ore, I doubt they'd care about preserving the environment or anything like that.  It's even harder for me to see how this story could be 3 more movies, but I can only assume either a) The Na'vi are about to get space tech from Jake (unlikely since he's not an engineer or scientist) or b) James Cameron is about to turn Avatar into a role-reversed Independence Day.
Who knows?  Maybe I'll be surprised, right?  I await the next films, due out starting in 2014, with trepidation.

Upcoming Non-Sequel Movies

According to io9, there are a whole slew of non-sequel movies in the speculative fiction genre headed our way.  It's a long list, and I invite you to go check it out yourself.  I'm going to present only the films I'm most excited about here.


Ender's Game


I'm looking forward to this one.  Not only does it promise to be visually stunning but the word is that the movie will be an accurate representation of the book by Orson Scott Card.  If you haven't read it, go and buy it right now because it's one of the sci-fi icons that shaped the genre we all love.  I have real hope that the movie will live up to the book, but as always I'm approaching it with caution.
Ender's Game will star Asa Butterfield as Ender, and feature Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley.
Also check out the Ender's Game Blog for updates and photos.

The Gift

I remember watching the short film last year and thinking, "wow that was neat."  Apparently, I'm not the only one who thought so.  I recommend you check it out if you haven't seen it.  There is a possibility that it will be made into a full length film, or wind up being the prequel to a full length film soon.  Either way, I'd like to see this happen!


The video presented here is courtesy of YouTube.

Elysium


This upcoming near-future movie stars Matt Damon and Jodie Foster.  It seems to be set in a distopian future where the rich live on a space station, and the rest of us are stuck on a dying planet.  Considering it's by the same people who brought us District 9 (itself, an amazing film), it will probably be heavy on the politics and have a poignant message.
I'm definitely looking forward to this one simply based on who is making it.  Also, I recommend you check out the website mentioned at the end of the clip.  For now it seems to only have the trailer up, but since they went through the trouble of making it a real website I expect cool digital swag to appear soon.

Once again, trailer courtesy YouTube.

That's it for now!  Be sure to check out my new website www.cygnusorion.com for updates, news, and links about my writing, me, and the Blood Siren series!

Comments

Popular Posts