Sci-Fi Movies of 2015! Part 1

And it's finally here!

My list of Sci-Fi movies for the year of 2015!
(Through May 2015, this is part I)

January:

1-9
Predestination:
Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook

A movie about a time-traveling "Temporal Agent" and his first case, I think. Not sure what to think of this one.



1-16
Vice:
Bruce Willis, Thomas Jane, Ambyr Childers

This one has my attention. For the first half of the trailer I was thinking, "oh, movie about a dystopia, there's a murder, things fall apart... Whoa!" That last bit was when I got to the last part of the trailer. Yeah, it grabbed my attention with a twist I didn't expect. I'm not sure what it says that such a big twist was shown in the trailer, hopefully there are more in the film, but I'm gonna have to see this one now for sure.



The Phoenix Project:
Corey Rieger, Andrew Simpson

This one looks like an artsy, dramatic alternate reality film. It kind of reminds me of the mood of Primer, but I'm pretty sure it won't be as good (just judging from the trailer).



1-30
Alien Outpost:
Adrian Paul, Reily McClendon

It's an alien invasion movie. If you've been reading my blog you know why I think most of these are stupid without a good, and I mean, really good reason for doing what they do. (You're telling me a civilization that has mastered faster than light travel is outmatched by a couple of macho men with guns? Really?) I didn't even recognize Adrian Paul (Highlander TV series) in this. I guess it's been too long, but anyways, here's the trailer.


2-6
Jupiter Ascending:
Channing Tatum, Mila Kunis

Biggest issue I have with this movie is that the whole "we seeded your planet 100,000 years ago" (to make humans, it seems) ignores the entire body of scientific evidence to the contrary of something like this happening—and it's a freakin' mountain of evidence. So I think the writers of this were pretty lazy and uncreative with the premise, but it still might be an okay movie. I'll probably skip it, though unless I hear it's really amazing or something.


3-13
Air
Norman Reedus, Djimon Hounsou

Not sure what to think of this one. The teaser here didn't give me enough to go on. IMDB says it's about a diver who comes up in a world without breathable air. Weird. Maybe there'll be more as we get closer to release date.



3-19
Robot Overlords:
Gillian Anderson, Ben Kingsley

This one reminds me of the Tripods series by John Christopher (but only vaguely). Robots come in and take over, then a boy finds he can control them with some kind of cybernetic device. This movie was adapted from the novel by Mark Stay of the same name. I am wary of such things after the Maze Runner, so not sure I'll see this one (though I do love Ben Kingsley as a villain, and yeah, Gillian Anderson in Sci-Fi is a good thing).


3-20
Insurgent
Kate Winslet, Shailene Woodley

I didn't see Divergent, so I'm just going to leave this here.



3-27
Chappie
Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver

If there's a movie I am dying to see this year, it's this one. Neill Blomkamp, Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, and it's about an adorable, kick-ass A.I. It's like Mr. Blomkamp is writing me a love letter.



5-1
Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, et. al.

For some reason I'm not as hyped as I should be about this. Maybe it's the mismatch (due to studio rights) between Quicksilver in the X-Men and Quicksilver here, or the fact that Marvel titles are inescapable as far as promotion and the media go. Maybe I'm just a little burnt out on the hype already—but whatever the case I do love RDJr's Iron Man and Mark Ruffalo's Hulk is freakin' awesome. So yeah, I'm seeing this.



5-15
Mad Max: Fury Road
Tom Hardey, Charliz Theorn

I'm a fan of both stars of this movie, I'm just not a Mad Max fan. I'm not that into post-apocalyptic stuff, since it tends to just sit unwell with me, and I'd rather be dreaming of a future among the stars than one in the dirt (kudos to Interstellar for giving me that metaphor). In any case, if you're a Mad Max fan this is probably going to do it for you.





5-22
Tomorrowland
Britt Robertson, George Clooney

And a week after Mad Max comes a movie on the exact opposite on the happy spectrum. This kind of looks like a modern-day Wizard of Oz to me. It's another one I'm not sure how to take, and though I do like George Clooney, I'm a little iffy when he dips into sci-fi (Solaris, Gravity, to name two). Still, this could be very cool, or not. I'll wait for more trailers before really deciding.





And that's it for the first half of 2015! I'll put part 2 up for the 2nd half of the year soon.

Be well!

Comments

Popular Posts