Captain Marvel: My Spoiler-Free Review

First and foremost, I enjoyed the movie.
I went into with a little trepidation. Brie Larson's interviews and the trailers didn't get me as excited as perhaps they should have. There was, for example, the controversial choice to show her beating up an old lady on a train (there's a very good reason, but it's off-putting to see out of context). I'm wondering if different footage should have been selected for promotions or if this was a deliberate attempt to downgrade the expectations before the "wow" of the actual movie. Whatever the case, I was pleasantly surprised after the opening credits (which entailed a tribute to the late, great, Stan Lee).

The best thing about Captain Marvel was that it was fun. I haven't collected comics for a while up until last year when I began again in earnest, and from the Captain Marvel issues I could get my hands on I wasn't sure what to expect. As both an origin story and a tie-in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) the movie served its purpose well and gave us a great experience in the process.

I'm very much looking forward to see how Captain Marvel fits into the next Infinity War installment, and of course, looking forward to watching her kick some more butt.

Trailer Credit (YouTube, Marvel, Disney)

Comments

Popular Posts