My Review of Love, Death & Robots

Love, Death & Robots

Overall I really enjoyed this anthology. There were a few slow episodes (i.e. Zima Blue, The Witness) that seemed to go nowhere, or ones that were too strange to really make sense of and enjoy (again, the Witness), but there were others that ranged from cute to silly and hilarious (Three Robots, When the Yogurt Took Over- narrated by Maurice LeMarche -The Brain of Pinky and the Brain), and others that were just plain downright awesome (Shape-Shifters, Lucky 13, Sonnie's Edge).

Lucky 13 made me cry. I'm not ashamed to admit it, due to the dog-like loyalty of a ship's A.I. Sonnie's Edge is not what it seems, and I loved that. The Dump is a great campfire like story that does cute and horrifying with masterful writing... The list goes on. There are 18 short stories in all, and as stated above, not all of them are winners, but I found the vast majority of them were.

Love, Death & Robots is not for the faint of heart, and not for kids. There's a lot of very graphic violence, downright disturbing acts that made jaded, over 40 me cringe, and nudity (both male and female—with, unlike the standard "adult" offerings of the genre, more male genitalia on display than female nudity). Most of the stories pack quite an emotional punch by the end, and mix it well with action and general awesomeness. I highly recommend the watch and hope Netflix has more of this kind of material on the way.


Comments

Popular Posts