Tales from the 80's Nostalgia- Loopin' It In

Loopin' It



I've been aware of the 2017 role-playing game (RPG) by Free League Publishing known as Tales from the Loop for a while now. I've never played it, mind you, but I've been aware of it. The game itself is based on the art of Simon Stålenhag from the 1980's and 1990's, which involved scenes of technology invading natural spaces.

The game takes place in a small town in rural America (Boulder City, Nevada or the original Swedish setting of Mälaröarna) where a secret physics research facility has been built underground, and where weird things happen. The players choose from classic 1980's kid archetypes such as the Bookworm and the Weirdo among others, and attempt to solve the strange mysteries happening around town. It has a very Stranger Things feel to it, and though I grew up in the 80's and 90's I have to wonder with all of this weird things happening nostalgia how I don't remember that time being quite as weird as the popularity of them makes it out to be. Maybe I missed out?

The 2020 TV show is, I believe, based on the game and takes place in Ohio (adding yet another location to the possibilities). I was somewhat delighted and surprised to find it on the list of Amazon Prime shows available to Prime customers for free. I hadn't known of its existence until I got bored one day and started looking for something to watch (why I didn't just start making blog posts instead is another matter... now shush you & watch the trailer).


Already being curious about the game from my many forays to freeleaguepublishing.com for its Alien RPG game (excellent in all respects, btw), when I saw the TV show was available (TV? Should I say internet now or just show?), I was excited as it would and did provide me (I think) with some context for the game. Also, seeing Jonathan Pryce on screen made me go "Ooo, the Sparrow's in this?" GOT stays with you, what can I say?

So far I'm just one episode in but I did enjoy it. It's much more cerebral than its predecessor/counterpart Stranger Things, so don't expect lots of fast action or anything like that. In this respect it would fit in on the Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories (I'm showing my age), but it is its own thing. Simon Stålenhag's art stands out thorughout the scenery from the 80's style robots in the background (which look like they'll be featured in later episodes) to the surreal nature of the cinematography, and this gives the show its unique and deliciously nostalgic flavor. I'm looking forward to watching more very soon, and perhaps giving the game a try too.

Comments

Popular Posts