Expanding My View of the Expanse

 Just finished Caliban's War, the second book in James SA Corey's Expanse novels.

I'm eagerly anticipating the release of Season 6 on Amazon Prime Video, but I'm also realizing as I read the books that I wish the series, which I do love, had stuck to the books a bit closer. Bobbie's character, for example, is much more chill overall and displays a kind of confident strength that she doesn't quite hit in the show until later. Also, how events unfold is a bit odd in the show now that I know what was written. I'm not going to get into it (SPOILERS!!!!) but I like the way they went in the book better.

I do have to concede, however, that some things were changed to give certain characters more of an arc as far as their development goes (Bobbie), or to make them more relatable to the viewer, perhaps (Alex?), but I (obviously) don't agree with all of the changes and kind of wish they'd left well and enough alone.

One thing I do like a lot is that the blending of books I and II in seasons 1 & 2 of the show really did work. It also gave us Shohreh Aghdashloo's Chrisjen Avasarala, who is just as amazing in the books as the show, and who Ms. Aghdashloo's performance nails absolutely (damn she must be fun to play). So I can't complain too loud.

Season 6 starts December 10th, 2021. Can't wait!



Comments

Popular Posts